A Simple Sleeveless Mina: Seamwork New Pattern Release
It is time for a new pattern release from Seamwork; introducing the Mina top. This is a fun quick sew that offers several styling options. It is available in a top or dress version, with short or 3/4 length sleeves. I chose to make the top, and hacked the pattern to create a sleeveless version. I was limited by the amount of fabric I had as it is the second garment I have made with this wonderful single gauze leopard print fabric from Modes 4U. You can see my other make with this fabric here. Once again, it did not disappoint. Combined with the Mina Pattern, this top will be a perfect transition piece from summer into fall.
The Mina offers a interesting neck interfacing that uses a single fold bias binding. The pattern instructions clearly explain how to create this finish if you have never used this technique before. It is a great sewing technique to use as it can be used on any pattern that calls for a neck interfacing. I chose to use double fold bias binding so that the fit and finish of the interfacing was the same as the arm syce pattern hack.
To create the sleeveless version of the Mina I attached double bias binding to the sleeve opening, then I rolled binding to the inside of the shirt and sewed it down along the edge. I am really pleased with the effect of the binding and the topstitching and the fit and finish is professional and comfortable.
The other design feature of the Mina that I really like is the hemline for the bodice. I have never created this kind of a folded hemline and I think this style detail adds to the over all tailored look of the top. The design hides the seamline of the gathered ruffle giving it a clean, polished look.
Other than the pattern hack I used to create a sleeveless top I only made basic pattern adjustments for this make. I made a size 14, based on the finished garment bust measurements. As I am 6 feet tall I often need to add length to a garment and I normally add 3' to any bodice. For this pattern I added 1.5" to the upper bodice pattern piece and 1" to the ruffle. I felt by dividing the length that I needed, it would maintain the balance between the bodice and ruffle. I helped to keep the hemline feature close to my natural waistline. This will be a technique that I will use again to maintain proportion in a pattern design.
I really like this style of top, it suits me well as I don't have a really well defined waist. I will definitely be making a long sleeve version in double black gauze as a wardrobe basic for the winter season.
After all.... there is So Much To Design!